No. 2 Texas men’s golf surges into second place in third round of NCAA Championships

Daulton Venglar

The Longhorns’ surge continued at the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Oregon, with a 3-under par outing in Sunday’s third round.  Heading into Monday’s final round of stroke play, Texas sits in second at 7-over overall, just two shots behind Vanderbilt.

“I think it's important for us to win this stroke play event,” junior Gavin Hall said. “That was our goal coming in. Coach [Jean-Paul] Hebert and coach [John] Fields definitely wanted to win the stroke play event and take it each portion at a time.”

Junior Beau Hossler fired a 3-under 67 after back-to-back even par rounds to move into third and three shots off the lead for the individual championship. Sophomore Scottie Scheffler is tied for 17th at 2-over after a 1-over 71 on Sunday.

Hall shot a 2-under 68 to move into a tie for 30th at 4-over. Sophomore Doug Ghim sits in a tie for 36th at 5-over after posting a 1-over 71.

“It's just a difficult course and if you don't have your game, it's really tough to shoot under par, particularly off the tee,” Hossler said. “If you're hitting it in the rough, you pretty much don't have chances to make birdies.”

The Longhorns and 14 other teams have advanced to Monday’s final round. The individual champion will also be crowned Monday. From there, the top eight teams will advance to the match play bracket, which will decide the national champion.

“We just need to go take care of business like we did [Sunday],” Fields said. “Hopefully, we can use [Sunday's] momentum. Now we have three rounds under our belts on this golf course, so hopefully we are getting more and more comfortable on it.”

Texas begins the final round of stroke play on Monday at 2:50 p.m.