Johnson to head across state lines, join Sooners

SkipJohnson_courtAustinAmericanDeborahCannon
Courtesy of Deborah Cannon/American-Statesman

Nearly a month after the departure of former head coach Augie Garrido, Texas now has another hole to fill in its dugout. Associate head coach Skip Johnson accepted a position with Oklahoma on Monday, joining the Sooners as their new pitching coach.

“I’m just so grateful to DeLoss Dodds, Augie Garrido, Bill Powers and Mike Perrin for allowing me to coach here,” Johnson told the Austin American-Statesman’s Kirk Bohls. “I want to thank them for the opportunity they gave me to coach here. But this is like burying my dad.”

Johnson applied for the vacant head coaching position upon Garrido’s reassignment out of the dugout and into the athletics office. But the Longhorn brass opted to not stay in-house and continue exploring options from across the country. They have yet to find a new head coach.

The circumstances surrounding Johnson’s move north are unclear. However, Johnson did state that his time in Austin would continue if Texas were to hire his longtime friend Tim Tadlock, Texas Tech’s head coach.

But Tadlock moving to the 40 acres was never a real possibility. According to the Statesman, Padlock has a non-compete clause in his contract, barring him from joining any other team in the Big 12.

Johnson leaves Texas with quite the resume. In nine seasons as the Longhorns pitching coach, Johnson’s staff led the Big 12 in ERA five times, garnering 21 All-Big 12 selections. Seven Longhorn pitchers earned All-America honors, with five making the first team.