Longhorns beat Kansas State to snap losing streak

2016-09-30_Soccer_Texas_vs_OKState_Joshua

Freshman defender Emma Jett fired a corner into the box.

The ball bounced off a Kansas State defender and flew straight into the air. Texas junior forward Olivia Brook out-jumped the Wildcat defense and headed the ball into the back of the net. 

The goal — scored in the first minute of the game — marked the Longhorns’ first in over a week. Texas (7–6­–1, 0–3–1 Big 12) topped Kansas State (4–7–3) 2-0 to snap a three-game losing streak.

“We worked really hard this week on getting the ball in the back of the net,” Brook said. “And attacking really hard and coming out in the first 5 minutes and scoring, and that was our goal and it definitely paid off.” 

Texas handled Kansas State defensively, holding the Wildcats to just one shot the entire first half. The Longhorns racked up 11 shots in the first 45 minutes and took a 1–0 lead into the half.

“We talked about the sense of urgency [at halftime],” head coach Angela Kelly said. “We talked about the need to put one away very quickly and to not stop there. They obviously heard our message.” 

Texas got off to another fast start in the second half, but not without some help from the Wildcats. In the 47th minute, freshman forward Cyera Hintzen fired the ball into a crowded box. Kansas State sophomore defender Megan Kalkofen attempted to clear the ball, but sent it right into the back of her own net. 

“We had quite a few good looks,” Kelly said. “To have two of our goals in the first five minutes in each half is something that I’m
excited about.” 

Similar to the first half, the early goal proved to be the lone score in the second. Texas held the Wildcats to just two shots in the second half, with just one coming on goal.

While the Longhorns celebrated their first win in several weeks, Texas is still winless in the Big 12 because the victory over Kansas State did not count as a conference win. The Wildcats are in their first year as a Division I squad, so they are classified as independent until they officially join the Big 12 conference next season. 

Nonetheless, the victory still serves as a much-needed win for a Texas team in need of momentum. 

“It feels great,” Brook said. “We really needed it. It is something that is definitely a confidence booster for our team. We know how good we are and we know what we can do. I think it’s nothing but up from here.”

The Longhorns have nearly a week off before their next game. They return to Big 12 play on Friday when they travel to Ames, Iowa, to take on Iowa State.

This story has been updated since its original publication.