Women’s basketball team has first practice

The Longhorns held their first practice of 2016-17 Monday, consisting of a team meeting and a two-hour workout on the Frank Erwin Center court.

Texas is coming off a successful 2015-16 campaign that culminated in an Elite Eight loss. However, head coach Karen Aston emphasized it’s time to focus on a new season.

“The point of today was to turn the page,” Aston said. “There’s not any point in talking about anything that we did last year because it’s over and it’s a new team. We lost some key pieces, but we also gained some.”

Additions to the team include freshmen guards Jada Underwood, Joyner Holmes and Alecia Sutton. Holmes and Sutton both ranked as top-6 recruits in the nation, according to ESPN.

Aston was pleased with the freshmen’s efforts in their first practice.

“I like their motors,” Aston said. “[Sutton] is coming back off of injury from her senior year in high school so she’s still recovering, but the other two who have been live with us have good motors. They have a lot of athletic ability and a lot of versatility.”

The freshman guards will learn from starting point guard Brooke McCarty, who is returning for her junior season. McCarty said the team started nervous, but found their “groove” later in practice. 

“We’re learning a lot, so I think it was a good first practice,” McCarty said. 

The Longhorns have less than a month to prepare for an exhibition game with Tarleton State on Nov. 6. The regular season tips off a week later, when Texas travels to Palo Alto to take on Stanford on Nov. 14.