Matchups: vs. Iowa State

2016-10-08_Texas_vs_OU_Joshue
  • Quarterback
  • Advantage: Texas

Freshman Shane Buechele struggled in the first half last week against Oklahoma. But he rebounded in the second half with a couple of deep balls for touchdowns.

Cyclone Junior Joel Lanning has taken most of the snaps at quarterback and tossed six touchdowns and no picks in his last three games, but sophomore Jacob Park has also filled in well from time to time.

• Running Back
  • Advantage: Texas

Even without sophomore Chris Warren III last week, the Texas run game showed no sign of slowing down. Junior D’Onta Foreman rushed for 159 yards and two touchdowns. Foreman has run for at least 130 yards in each of his four games played this season.

Sophomore Mike Warren and freshman David Montgomery combined for only 16 carries and 79 yards last week against Oklahoma State. The Cyclones rank seventh in the Big 12 in rushing offense.

• Wide Receiver
  • Advantage: Tie

Texas Junior Dorian Leonard and freshman Devin Duvernay each smoked the Oklahoma secondary last week with long touchdown receptions. Junior Armanti Foreman also had a touchdown catch.

Juniors Trever Ryen and Allen Lazard as well as emerging sophomore Carson Epps headline a talented Iowa State receiving corps. Ryen and Lazard combined for 129 yards and three touchdowns last week.

• Offensive Line
  • Advantage: Texas

The Texas offensive line turned in another solid performance last week and returned senior right guard Kent Perkins from suspension. The Longhorns have opened up a lot of holes this year for their running backs.

The Cyclones feature four seniors on their offensive line, including 6-foot 7-inch, 310-pound left tackle Nick Fett. However, Iowa State ranks last in the Big 12 in sacks allowed with 19.

• Defensive Line
  • Advantage: Tie

Iowa State, despite having the worst rushing defense in the Big 12, handled Oklahoma State’s run game well last week, allowing only 108 yards and 3.3 yards per carry. Senior end Jhaustin Thomas has recorded three sacks this season.

The Longhorns had a tough day up front against Oklahoma, failing to contain junior running back Samaje Perine. Texas also struggled to put pressure on junior quarterback Baker Mayfield.

• Linebacker
  • Advantage: Texas

Sophomore Anthony Wheeler quietly continued his standout season with another solid outing last week for Texas. Wheeler ranks fourth in the Big 12 in tackles this season with 43.

Sophomores Willie Harvey and Reggan Northrup and senior Kane Seeley lead the way for the Cyclones. The trio have combined for 104 tackles
this season.

• Defensive Back
  • Advantage: Iowa State

Iowa State is only giving up 218 passing yards per game, good for second in the Big 12. The Cyclones are led by junior safety Kamari Cotton-Moya, who ranks ninth in the Big 12 in tackles.

Sophomores Davante Davis and Holton Hill were each torched on big passing plays for touchdowns against Oklahoma. The Texas secondary still is nowhere near fixing its woes.

• Special Teams
  • Advantage: Tie

The Longhorns didn’t make any drastic mistakes on special teams for once last week. Texas did a good job of containing the dangerous Oklahoma sophomore running back Joe Mixon in the return game.

Iowa State’s Trever Ryen struggled last week on punt returns, totaling -9 yards on two returns. The Cyclones are the only team in the Big 12 to have not missed a field goal this season.