Power Rankings: Week Six

1.) Baylor (5-0, 2-0)

The Bears are coming off of a bye week. They will look to remain undefeated when the Jayhawks come into town this weekend.

2.) West Virginia (4-0, 2-0)

Like Baylor, the Mountaineers will be coming off a bye and will look to remain undefeated. West Virginia faces a big test this Saturday, when they travel to Lubbock to take on the high-powered Texas Tech offense. So far, the Mountaineers have boasted one of the better defensive units in the Big 12 and will look to flex their muscles against the Red Raiders.

3.) Oklahoma (3-2, 2-0)

The Sooners offense has really rounded into form. Oklahoma decimated the Texas’ defense in the Red River Showdown, putting up 672 yards of total offense on route to a 45-40 win.

Junior quarterback Baker Mayfield is starting to play like the preseason Heisman favorite. Over the past two weeks, Mayfield has thrown for over 600 yards and is completing nearly seventy-five percent of his passes.

4.) Kansas State (3-2, 1-1)

Kansas State proved that it is in fact possible to slow down Patrick Mahomes and the Texas Tech offense. The Wildcats limited the Raiders to ten second-half points, by far their lowest scoring output in a half this season.

5.) Oklahoma State (4-2, 2-1)

The Cowboys rallied from a 17-point deficit to beat Iowa State 38-31. The comeback effort was impressive, but Oklahoma State has to be concerned about falling behind by so much to a struggling Iowa State team.

6.) TCU (4-2, 2-1)

TCU avoided an embarrassing loss to the Jayhawks this weekend, rallying from nine down in the fourth quarter to win 24-23. The Horned Frogs gave up 470 yards of offense to a Jayhawks team that only put up 296 yards against a porous Texas Tech defense last week.

7.) Texas Tech (3-2, 1-1)

The Red Raiders defense gave up 44 points to a Kansas State team averaging less than 15 points a game against Power-Five conference opponents. Still, junior quarterback Patrick Mahomes II continues to put up astronomical numbers. Through five games, the quarterback has thrown for over 2000 yards, 20 touchdowns, and only four interceptions.

8.) Texas (2-3, 0-2)

Even with Charlie Strong calling the shots, the Longhorns showed no signs of improvement defensively in their loss to the Sooners. The defense has spoiled what has turned out to be a very productive Longhorns offense, who’s scoring offense ranks 17th nationally.

9.) Iowa State (1-5, 0-3)

The Cyclones have to be kicking themselves for letting another big lead slip away. Their record may not reflect it, but Iowa State has transformed into a competitive Big 12 team this season.

10.) Kansas (0-2, 1-4)

Like the Cyclones, Kansas has to be upset about missing out on a marquee win against TCU. The Jayhawks were ultimately doomed by mistakes down the stretch, missing three field goals in the final quarter.