Big 12 notebook: Sparks fly as Oklahoma tops Texas Tech

2016-10-08_Texas_vs_OU_Joshue

Sparks fly in Lubbock

The record books were rewritten Saturday night in Lubbock.

In a 66-59 Oklahoma victory over Texas Tech, the two teams combined for an NCAA record 1,708 yards.

Junior Red Raider quarterback Patrick Mahomes tied another NCAA record with 734 passing yards and set the national mark with 819 total yards of offense.

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield also set a school mark with seven passing touchdowns. The redshirt junior led touchdown drives on all but one of the Sooners’ second-half possessions.

“I told some of the guys at halftime, ‘If you’re scared and you don’t want to score every drive, then stay in here,’” Mayfield said.

Mountaineer defense shows up to win

The West Virginia defense smothered TCU on Saturday, limiting the Horned Frogs to their lowest scoring output of the season. 

West Virginia forced three turnovers and limited TCU to only 300 yards of total offense. The Mountaineers also held TCU junior quarterback Kenny Hill to only 148 yards passing — by far his lowest output of the season.

West Virginia senior cornerback Rasul Douglas said this was payback for TCU’s 40-10 victory over the Mountaineers last year.

“We owed them,” Douglas said. “No disrespect to them, but we owed them as a team.”

Kansas fails to overcome turnovers

Kansas showed signs of competitiveness in a 44–20 loss to Oklahoma State. The Jayhawks nearly matched the Cowboys in total yards, 482–454, and kept junior quarterback Mason Rudolph largely in check.

Kansas sacked Rudolph five times in the game and limited him to only 220 passing yards.

Senior Jayhawks running back Ke’aun Kinner ran for his best performance of the season, gashing the Cowboys for 145 yards on only 14 attempts.

Despite the promising effort, Kansas failed to overcome a mistake-filled third quarter. The Jayhawks only trailed by four points at halftime, but three turnovers in the period led to a 14-point deficit going into the fourth. 

Kansas remains winless in the Big 12 for the second-straight year.