Texas Thon hosts pancake night for children’s hospital

2016-10-20_PIKE_Pancake_Night_Briana
Briana Vargas

The smell of syrup and homemade pancakes filled the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house Thursday as students filled up on unlimited pancakes to raise money for a children’s hospital. 

Texas THON, a student-run philanthropic organization in partnership with Pi Kappa Alpha, or Pike, fundraises for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in the Dell Medical Center of Central Texas . THON hosts a variety of events throughout the year to raise money, which is then donated at their final event of the year, “Day of,” an all-day dance event. Last year the organization raised $175,000, which broke the fundraising record in Texas.

David Lopez, management information systems senior, said he joined Texas THON because he had a close relative who was at the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Lopez saw what the organization stood for and wanted to become a part of it.

“I got involved with THON my junior year because it resonated with me,” Lopez said. “My cousin was treated at a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, and it literally saved his life.”

THON hosted this year’s first pancake night from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. with a variety of pancakes, such as chocolate chip and cinnamon swirl.

“It’s a bunch of people coming together for a good cause, and the best part about it is that people get to enjoy good pancakes,” said undeclared freshman Walker Powers, a Pike fraternity pledge. 

THON aims to bring students from all organizations together for a larger cause.

“Our goal is to make the lives of children of Central Texas, especially those at Dell Medical Center, brighter,” said Mackenzie Moore, business honors and marketing junior. “We want to raise as much money, and get as many students as we can involved.” 

Students can get involved with THON more directly by becoming a miracle maker, which is someone who actively raises their own donations for the hospital.

“It can be as big, or as small of a commitment as you want it to be,” Moore said. “But no matter how big the commitment, everyone usually loves it.”

Texas THON has grown in popularity among student organizations across campus. 

“I joined a spirit group and one of the founders was really passionate about Texas THON,” government sophomore Perla Oyervides said. “We all joined together to be miracle makers.”

A schedule of the rest of THON’s fundraising the events can be accessed through the Texas THON website.