Voter profile: Texas native casts his first presidential ballot for Republican candidate

2016-10-24_Eric_Davis_Portrait_Chase
Chase Karacostas

Editor’s note: This is the first profile of a series The Daily Texan is publishing during the 2016 election season. Beginning with the first day of early voting, Oct. 24, the series will run up until Election Day, Nov. 8.

Eric Davis turned 18, the minimum age required to vote, the week after the presidential election in 2012.

Four years later, the right-leaning Texas native is, as he puts it, casting his first ballot for one of the most “unorthodox” candidates yet: Donald Trump, the Republican
presidential nominee.

“Was Trump one of my top candidates? No, he was not,” said Davis, a senior studying corporate communications. “The people of the United States … were looking for a candidate to shake up Washington and someone who has the charisma to say it like it is.”

Referring to Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, Davis said it is great to see a woman run for president but noted people are tired of politicians saying one thing and doing another.

“Clinton has a record, but the Cleveland Browns also have a record — and it’s not a good one,” Davis said. “Just because you have a record doesn’t mean it’s a good thing.”

Citing tax reform, law enforcement and veteran care, Davis said people will vote on Nov. 8 “with their heads, not their hearts.”

When Trump pivoted on issues such as abortion or walked back controversial comments toward women or Hispanics, it was nothing more than trivial, Davis said.

“Trump is a human before a presidential candidate,” Davis said. “He makes mistakes. If he says something wrong, you have to pardon him for it.”

The media placed Trump front stage during the primaries but have closed the curtain on him as Election Day gets closer, Davis said. Many news media outlets focus on petty things that should not affect the election, Davis added, likening the current election to a two-tiered showdown of politicians versus people and media versus voters.

“I think Trump will be the next president of the United States,” Davis said. “Based on what I hear in the street, there are more hidden Trump supporters than you think.”