Best Global Universities list ranks UT at No. 30

tower_pics_rachel
Rachel Zein

UT-Austin has been ranked at No. 30 in the world in U.S. News and World Report’s Best Global Universities.

According to a UT press release, this marks the fourth time this year the University has been placed among the best international universities. Twelve indicators, which include measures to evaluate global and regional research reputation, were used by U.S. News in ranking the universities.

“UT Austin's leadership in education and research is recognized around the world,” UT President Gregory Fenves said in a statement. “This particular ranking showcases our strength as a global research institution, with the benefits that brings to the undergraduate experience.”

Rice University was the only other Texas university to make the top 100 at number 61.

Eleven subjects at UT-Austin were placed in the top 50 rankings for U.S. News’s global subject rankings for the year. This list includes arts and humanities; chemistry; computer science; economics and business; engineering; geosciences; material sciences; mathematics; physics; social sciences and public health; and space science.

The global subject rankings focus on a school's academic research and reputation and not the school’s undergraduate and graduate program, according to U.S. News.

“I am so encouraged and excited to see that our University is ranked 30 of the Best Global Universities,” SG vice president Binna Kim said in an email. “As students, we see, feel and experience the value of our education every single day on the 40 Acres. But we sometimes forget the impact that the University of Texas has globally through things like international collaboration, our global research reputation and publications. I'm honored to be a part of the Longhorn community — students, faculty, and staff — that are changing the world in their respective fields.”