Roach and Mack suspended for team rules violations

2016-10-21_MensBasketball_Orange%26White_Gabriel
Gabriel Lopez

Sophomore guards Kerwin Roach Jr. and Tevin Mack will sit out Wednesday’s exhibition game against Angelo State in the wake of a suspension for violating team rules.

Head coach Shaka Smart, who announced the suspension Monday, said he enacted the punishment in preseason for a violation that “occurred months ago.” 

“It’s important for us to provide accountability for our guys, so that’s what we’re doing,” Smart said. “There’s a standard that we have to set and uphold in our program if we want to be successful.”

The second-year head coach said he believes the violation will not be an ongoing issue for Roach and Mack going forward and they have learned from their mistake. 

“I think its something that they’ve learned and that they’ve grown from,” Smart said. “We’re talking about 18, 19, 20-year-old kids that are not going to be perfect all the time.” 

Smart did not give a timetable for the length of the players’ suspensions, but said they will “be back soon”. 

With the departures of guards Isaiah Taylor and Javan Felix, Roach and Mack are expected to play a much bigger role for the Longhorns this season. Despite the suspensions, Smart said he’s confident the players can step into that expanded role, especially Roach.

“I think [Roach] has been one of the better players and better leaders since we started school, “ Smart said. “He just needs to continue growing and making progress and realizing there’s more responsibility on him now than when he was a freshman.”

Texas tips off their season next week with a matchup against Incarnate Word on Nov. 11.