Longhorns rebound against Horned Frogs

2016-10-26_Volleyball_Texas_vs_Oklahoma_Joshua

No. 5 Texas roared back from a rough start to defeat TCU in Fort Worth on Wednesday, winning 3-1 to improve its record to 18–3, 10–1 Big 12. 

The Longhorns exercised their demons from last year’s trip to Fort Worth, which resulted in a TCU sweep. The Horned Frogs couldn’t capitalize on their home-court advantage in this season’s matchup, losing their seventh consecutive match. 

TCU controlled the initial set after scoring five-straight points early in the frame, and didn’t look back from there. The Horned Frogs held the lead throughout, capitalizing on a slew of Texas errors to win the first set. 

But their stronghold on the match would quickly collapse. Texas established rhythm early on in the second set, running out to an 8-2 lead on kills from junior Ebony Nwanebu and freshman Micaya White. Texas would go on to win convincingly 25-17 to even the match.

Texas’ outside hitters led the Longhorns in their second victory over the Horned Frogs this year. Nwanebu led the team with 19 kills, while White contributed 13 of her own. The six-time Big 12 Freshman of the Week posted a double-double in the winning effort, accumulating 12 digs in four sets along with the 13 kills.

Points were a scarcity for the Horned Frogs in the third set, as Texas nearly doubled TCU in the point column, winning 25-13. The Longhorns went on five runs of three or more unanswered points, punishing a weak TCU defense. Senior outside hitter Paulina Prieto Cerame shined at the end of the set, earning the kill on Texas’ final three points.

Texas won its third consecutive set to close out the match, but the Horned Frogs kept the score close thanks to a late surge. TCU won three consecutive points after falling down 24-21, tying the fourth frame. The rivals continued to trade runs, until a tipped ball gave the Longhorns a 27-25 victory. 

The Longhorns improved to 12–1 all time against TCU with the win, and have now swept the season series between the conference rivals. Texas will have a week off following Wednesday’s victory, and will next take the court on Nov. 9 against Baylor at Gregory Gym in Austin.