Tat-Tuesday: Students share stories behind their ink

TATTUESDAYS0908_logo_MelanieWestfall
Melanie Westfall

Editor’s note: Tat-Tuesday is a weekly series that features students around campus and their tattoos.

Harrison Root

Chemistry graduate student Harrison Root’s upper arm is covered with art inspired by one of his favorite artists, Emek, who is known for creating concert posters for alternative musicians like Henry Rollins. For Root, tattoos have both an aesthetic and secret, personal significance. 

“I think it’s really cool that you could have something that other people see as art, but it means something deep to you as well,” Root said.

Root’s peacock design took six hours to complete, but not everyone was happy to see it finished.

“My parents were not stoked,” Root said. “When I got my first tattoos, they were really upset and told me that I was going to get them removed. I was like, ‘Um, no, that’s not going to happen. You can’t make me.’ I just think [tattoos] are artistic and really beautiful when they’re well done.”

Emily Croteau

Education sophomore Emily Croteau’s hero is her mother. Getting a matching mother-daughter tattoo only felt natural. 

“My mom has a whole bunch of tattoos and I really look up to her,” Croteau said. “My mom actually drew this and took it to the tattoo place. She took a trip to India and that’s where she developed an appreciation for elephants. They’re my favorite animals.”

Jordan Steyer

Before moving to UT in August, journalism sophomore Jordan Steyer decided to get matching Gilmore Girl-themed tattoos with her mom. 

“It’s the Lorelai and Rory dynamic,” Steyer said. “She has a to-go cup on her ankle and I got this one. We’re really excited about the reboot.”

Her tattoo has a second meaning: Her love for the devil’s brew.

“We both really love coffee,” Steyer said. “In my dorm, I have a whole cart that has all my coffee on it and then I have the coffee maker on top. It’s a big piece in my room.”