Big 12 Power Rankings

2016-10-08_Texas_vs_OU_Joshue

1. Oklahoma (6-2, 5-0)

After their defensive breakdown against Texas Tech last week, the Sooners responded by suffocating the Jayhawks in a 56-3 win. The defense held Kansas to 170 yards of total offense and only 40 yards in the second half. With the offense still clicking, Oklahoma is back to looking like the class of the conference.

2. Oklahoma State (6-2, 4-1)

The Cowboys won their fourth straight game against previously undefeated West Virginia on Saturday. Things will get tough from here on out however, as Oklahoma State has road contests against Kansas State, TCU, and Oklahoma scheduled in its final four games. 

3. Baylor (6-1, 3-1)

The Bears missed a prime opportunity to snag their first quality road win of the season this weekend. Baylor led Texas by eight with less than eight minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, but miscues on both sides of the ball led to its undoing. With the loss, Baylor is likely out of the playoff hunt. 

4. West Virginia (6-1, 3-1)

The Mountaineers turned the ball over three times in their loss to Oklahoma State, and each resulted with the Cowboys gaining possession in the red zone. These turnovers resulted in 17 points, the difference maker in a 37-20 game.

5. Texas (4-4, 2-3)

D’onta Foreman was huge in the Longhorns upset win over the Bears. The junior running back rushed for 250 yards and two touchdowns, gashing Baylor at will. Foreman helped pick up the slack the Texas defense, which once again put forth a
    pedestrian effort. 

6. Kansas State (5-3, 3-2)

The Wildcats survived a furious Iowa State rally to pull out a 31-26 win over the Cyclones. Kansas State led 31-10 going in the fourth quarter, but proceeded to give up 16 unanswered points.

7. Texas Tech (2-3, 4-4)

The Red Raiders escaped Lubbock with a 27-24 double-overtime win over TCU. Junior quarterback Patrick Mahomes II played well as usual, but it was the inspiring effort by the team’s conference worst defense that made the difference. The unit made a key stop at the end of regulation, as well as in the second overtime. 

8. TCU (2-3, 4-4)

It wasn’t all his fault, but part of the blame for TCU’s loss to Texas Tech has to be placed on junior kicker Brandon Hatfield. He missed three field goals in the game, including a crucial one in double overtime. With a daunting schedule approaching, the Horned Frogs could be looking at only their second non-winning season in a decade.

9. Iowa State (0-5, 1-7)

Despite a promising fourth quarter rally, a conference victory continues to elude the Cyclones. They’ve come close three times this year, but have been unable to pull through in the fourth quarter.

10. Kansas (0-5, 1-7)

Over their past three games, the Jayhawks have been outscored by a whopping 119 points. Their near-upset of TCU is starting to seem like a distant memory.