Big 12 Notebook Week Nine

Courtesy of Oklahoma State Athletics

Oklahoma State ends West Virginia’s undefeated season

No. 19 West Virginia’s perfect season – and a chance for a playoff spot – came to an end Saturday in Stillwater, as No. 18 Oklahoma State beat the Mountaineers 37-20. 

Though the Mountaineers were able to get more yards and hold Oklahoma State to just 85 rushing yards, the Cowboys were able to take advantage of all three of West Virginia’s turnovers, scoring 17 points off of takeaways. 

Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph shined in the game, throwing 273 yards and scoring four total touchdowns.

With the win, Oklahoma State stretched its winning streak to four games and has kept itself in the Big 12 title hunt, a championship that West Virginia can still win if it runs the table. 

Oklahoma State will play Kansas State in Manhattan this weekend, and West Virginia will play Kansas at home.

Texas Tech edges out TCU in double overtime

It was once again a close matchup between Tech and TCU, with Tech beating the Horned Frogs 27-24 on a game-winning field goal in double overtime. TCU’s defense stood out in the game, holding Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes II to just 206 passing yards and forced three fumbles. 

However, three missed field goals, including one in double overtime, and a rough outing by TCU quarterback Kenny Hill let the Red Raiders come out ahead.

Both TCU and Texas Tech have 4-4 records and will be seeking bowl eligibility before the end of the season, a task that will be tough due to their schedules. TCU heads to Waco to play Baylor on Saturday, while Texas Tech will host Texas.

Kansas, Iowa State continue to struggle

In a week that featured many close Big 12 games, No. 14 Oklahoma’s 56-3 rout of Kansas was the only blowout. 

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield once again stood out with four touchdowns, while the rushing game added 267 total yards to continue Oklahoma’s undefeated conference streak. Kansas, for its part, will continue to look for its first conference win since November 2014 this Saturday against West Virginia.

Iowa State continued its trend of falling just short of a win against Kansas State, losing 31-26. 

The Wildcats looked to be in control for most of the game, pulling out to a 31-10 lead in the fourth quarter. However, behind quarterbacks Jacob Park and Joel Lanning, the Cyclones scored 16 unanswered points in the fourth quarter, but it wasn’t enough for the win. 

Kansas State follows the victory up with a matchup against Oklahoma State this weekend.

Four Big 12 players named semifinalists for Butkus and Maxwell Awards

Four players from the Big 12 have been named semifinalists for two end-of-the-year awards, the Butkus Award and the Maxwell Award. 

Texas sophomore linebacker Malik Jefferson was one of 12 athletes named as semi-finalist to the Butkus Award, which is given annually to the nation’s top college linebacker.

For the Maxwell Award, an award given to the college football’s top athlete, Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield and wide receiver Dede Westbrook as well as Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes II were named as semi-finalists. Finalists will be announced on Nov. 22nd.