Trump’s political detatchment makes him a stronger choice

2016-10-26_Early_Voting_Lines_Chase
Chase Karacostas

In 2008, Americans were offered a message of hope and a promise for a better country. As young people, believing that the world was our oyster, we placed our trust in Barack Obama to protect us and our interests. But we were robbed of our pearls. 

Americans are not better off today than they were eight years ago. They are less safe, and their economic futures are less certain.

Now we are offered two candidates: one who proudly reminds us he is “not a politician and has never wanted to be one,” and Hillary Clinton, who was born to be a politician and has always wanted to be one. 

Clinton’s presidential campaign has been faced with endless scandals and evidence of her corruption — though I don’t recall anything specifically. And certainly, Trump’s campaign has also had its share of challenges. But the most important difference between these two candidates is that Hillary Clinton is deeply invested in a system most Americans view as sick and failing, while Donald Trump seems bold enough and independent enough to change it.

As a rookie politician at his first political rodeo, Trump is owned by no one. He doesn’t owe anyone any favors, he’s not being actively investigated for selling the Office of the Secretary of State to the highest bidder, and he won’t have the looming threat of impeachment hanging over him during his first days in office. This means he can get things done. 

So let’s consider what he wants to do. And for a moment, forget the past. Forget the scandals, the media, the pointed fingers, the political lies, and listen to what this man is standing up and telling you, and me, and the rest of America. 

Trump says he wants to end corruption in Washington and change the course our country is on. And he tells us how he will do it.  

In his Contract with the American Voter, he has outlined a clear initiative to restore America’s faith in the government and bring change to Washington. In this SparkNotes-esque document, Trump has given us, the voters, full transparency on how he intends to clean up the corruption plaguing our government, protect American workers and restore national security.

Americans might naturally ask themselves why he is doing this. Why is this outspoken, brash, and, at times, crude man running for the presidency? Why doesn’t he do what other old, rich, white men are supposed to do and retire to some ritzy, exclusive golf club in Florida (like the one he owns) and sip margaritas while basking in the sun and his endless wealth? 

Trump has no financial motive, no need of fame and no obvious desire for power. He had almost all those things already. He has a multibillion-dollar international business and has achieved the American dream that so many of us college students — fueled with Red Bulls and the saving grace of Jimmy John’s sandwich delivery service — spend long, sleepless nights working tirelessly to achieve. 

The current system has obviously been working well for him. And a career in politics, with all of the work our nation’s most difficult and stressful job demands, does not seem like a good investment. (See the eight-year net loss of Obama’s jet black hair.)

That’s why we’re left to answer that Trump is doing it for the reason he says: “When I saw the trouble our country was in, I knew I couldn’t stand by and watch any longer.” 

What starts here changes the world, and it starts on Nov. 8 at the FAC with you.

Christensen is a government senior from Fresno, California.