Big 12 Notebook: Week 11

2016-11-05_UT_vs_Tech_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Oklahoma State wins on Tech’s missed extra-point

In an expected offensive shootout between Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, Oklahoma State won 45-44 after Texas Tech missed the game-tying extra point with 90 seconds left. 

The Red Raiders and the Cowboys were tied at halftime 28-28, and though the Cowboys held a 10-point lead at the end of the third quarter, Texas Tech scored a field goal and a touchdown late in the fourth to attempt to tie it up. However, the extra point was missed and allowed the Cowboys to escape with a win.

Both quarterbacks stood out, with Red Raider quarterback Patrick Mahomes II having 377 total yards and five touchdowns and Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph racking up 395 passing yards and two touchdowns.

Baylor falls again in tough loss to Oklahoma

Baylor dropped its third straight game Saturday as Oklahoma came away with a comfortable 45-24 victory. 

The Sooners shot out to a 21-0 advantage in the first quarter and never lost the lead. Baker Mayfield shined again with 300 passing yards and three total touchdowns and the running back duo of Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine gashed the Bears with 224 combined yards.

The loss was made worse for Baylor when senior quarterback Seth Russell suffered a gruesome ankle dislocation in the third quarter. Freshman quarterback Zach Smith came in and did well with 144 yards and two touchdowns, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the deficit and to add further insult to injury, Russell will likely be out for the rest of the year. 

Oklahoma plays at West Virginia this weekend and Baylor hosts Kansas State.

Iowa State gets first conference win against Kansas

It was a close battle between the Cyclones and the Jayhawks in Lawrence, Kansas, but Iowa State held off Kansas with a 31-24 win. 

Kansas jumped out to an early 14-3 lead, but was unable to stop Iowa State from scoring 17 unanswered points late in the second half. Iowa State and Kansas were evenly matched in the game, totaling 458 and 415 yards respectively, but Kansas turnovers proved to be the difference.

Iowa State notched its first conference win of the season and improved to 2-8, while Kansas lost its 19th straight Big 12 game.

Big 12 Weekend Preview

In the last weekend of a full Big 12 slate, the No. 14 West Virginia vs. No, 9 Oklahoma and TCU vs. No. 11 Oklahoma State matchups highlight conference play. The Sooners will head to Morgantown to face West Virginia in a game that should significantly clear up the Big 12 title race as the winner has a very good shot of winning the conference. Meanwhile in Fort Worth, Texas, Oklahoma State will attempt to continue its six-game winning streak against a rising TCU team.

In other matchups, Baylor will attempt to stop it’s tailslide when against a tough but inconsistent Kansas State team, while Texas Tech will head to Iowa State in hopes of stopping it’s own slide — the Red Raiders are 1-5 in their last six games. Texas will play Kansas to round off the weekend.