Players to Watch: vs. Kansas

• Carter Stanley
  • Quarterback #9

Stanley is the newest option at quarterback for the 1-9 Jayhawks. 

The redshirt freshman guided Kansas to its closest game in weeks, only falling by seven points to Iowa State on Saturday. He completed over 68.4 percent of his passes for 171 yards in the loss. In his first start, the Jayhawks posted 24 points — their highest point output against an FBS team this season. 

Stanley is a fresh hope on a Kansas team seeking its first conference victory in over two years. The opposing Texas Longhorns rank 111th nationally in passing yards and touchdowns given up in 2016.

• Steven Sims Jr.
  • Wide receiver #11

The sophomore wideout has been Kansas’ top receiving threat this season. He has passed the 100-yard mark four times this season and earned nine receptions on four different occasions, the latest against Iowa State. 

Sims leads all Kansas players with seven trips to the end zone this season. The Texas-native sat out the 59-20 loss to Texas last season, but is set to play in his home-state on Saturday. Sims is just 5-feet-10-inches tall, but uses blazing speed to burn defenders downfield. His current receiving average of 12.3 yards per catch is highest among Jayhawks’ receivers with at least 10 catches.

• Tyler Patrick
  • Wide receiver #4

Patrick missed the majority of the Jayhawks’ games this season, but when given an opportunity, he has been a great receiver in the offense. 

The redshirt sophomore receiver started in Kansas’ lone victory in 2016. In the 55-6 rout on opening weekend, Patrick recorded five catches for 51 yards and a touchdown. 

Labeled as a strong route-runner, Patrick has earned six receptions in three of the other games he has played this season. He finally returned in Kansas’ loss to Iowa State, and may play a role on Kansas’ deep receiving corps Saturday. Patrick received plenty of playing time last season against Texas, earning 23 receiving yards in the loss.

• Dorance Armstrong Jr.
  • Defensive end #2

Armstrong has been the star of the Kansas defense this season. 

The sophomore from Houston is tied for 20th in the FBS with eight sacks in the 2016 season. Armstrong has recorded a tackle in every game this year, with a career-high seven against West Virginia. Armstrong has also gotten his hands on the ball this year, forcing two fumbles on the season. 

He has 39 tackles in 2016, and knows how to defend passes from the defensive line. Last year in Austin, Armstrong defended three passes in the loss to Texas.