Scenarios: vs. Kansas

2016-11-12_Texas_vs_WVU_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Texas Wins If

There are numerous scenarios in which Texas wins this weekend. Kansas, who is yet to win a conference game this year, struggles in just about every facet of the game.

The Jayhawks rank last in the Big 12 in scoring and total offense, and rank next to last in scoring and total defense. Kansas has also turned the ball over a staggering 31 times, a number that ranks last in the country.

Texas wins if it sticks to the game plan and rides the coattails of junior running back D’Onta Foreman. The back is coming off of another impressive outing against West Virginia, in which he ran for 167 yards. Foreman is yet to rush for less than 100 yards in a game this season.

This streak should continue, as Kansas has been absolutely abysmal in stopping the run.  The squad has given up 225 rushing yards per game and has shown no signs of improvement. The Jayhawks just allowed Iowa State’s freshman back David Montgomery to rush for a season-high 169 yards, a week after allowing West Virginia to have two 100-yard rushers.

If Texas gives Foreman a healthy amount of carries, then the Longhorns should come away with a victory.  Kansas has shown no sign this year that it is capable of stopping the run, and the Jayhawks have not yet played a back of Foreman’s caliber. 

Texas Loses If

On paper, Texas has the advantage over Kansas in practically every area. The Longhorns have the better quarterback, the better defense and a much more reliable special teams unit.

But there are two things that can breed conditions for an upset: turnovers and big plays. If Texas loses the turnover battle and its defense succumbs to breakdowns, then the Longhorns will be in position to lose this weekend.

Texas will be traveling to a stadium that is desperate for a win. Kansas hasn’t won a conference game in two seasons, and the home fans in Lawrence, Kansas have to be hungry for
a victory. 

Expect the Jayhawks to pull out all the stops in their last home game of the season.

In the Jayhawks near-upset over TCU early in the season, Kansas forced a season high four turnovers. Texas has been much better than Kansas with the football this year, turning the ball over 15 fewer times. But if this trend reverses, it may be enough to give Kansas the momentum it needs to
be competitive.