Stock Up, Stock Down: vs. Kansas

2016-11-05_Texas_vs_Tech_Zoe
Zoe Fu

Stock Up: Wide receivers

The Longhorn wide receivers stepped up in a big way against West Virginia. Junior wide receiver Dorian Leonard had a career-best 125 receiving yards on seven catches, while freshman wide receiver Collin Johnson continued to impress after his standout game against Texas Tech with another 68 yards and an impressive touchdown catch and run.

The rest of the receiving corps also played well, with running back D’Onta Foreman and wide receivers Devin Duvernay, Jake Oliver and Jacorey Warrick all having at least 20 yards. If the receivers can continue their effort in this game, it would provide an excellent relief for Texas’ strong running game.

Stock Down: Offensive line

It was a rough game for the offensive line and consequently, freshman quarterback Shane Buechele. 

Especially in the second half, the offensive line let West Virginia blitzes get through and pressure Buechele, resulting in several sacks and scrambles. One sack deep in Mountaineer territory especially was costly, as the line failed to execute and Buechele was drilled and gave up a fumble.

The Texas front five gave up four sacks and three quarterback hurries in the game, as well as five tackle for losses. Texas’ offensive line needs to improve from this game and give Buechele more protection so that he can continue to give the Longhorns a much needed passing game.

Stock Up: Malcolm Roach

Freshman linebacker Malcolm Roach had an impressive showing against the West Virginia offense, especially in the backfield. 

Roach led the Longhorns with three tackles for losses and sacked Mountaineer quarterback Skyler Howard for four yards on third down. This was in addition to his five solo tackles and two assisted tackles for the game.

It’s an encouraging sign to see Roach step up after fellow linebacker Malik Jefferson left the game early, and the Longhorns should be able to rely on him in future games.

Stock Down: Turnovers

Texas’ troubles with turnovers – both giving up and taking advantage of them – is nothing new, and continued against the Mountaineers. Texas had three turnovers – two fumbles and an interception – which stopped much needed scoring drives.

But it also failed to take advantage of four West Virginia turnovers. The Longhorns only scored seven points off of those four turnovers. Texas, who has one of the worst points off turnovers in the FBS, desperately needs to figure out how to take more advantage of turnovers, and also needs to continue to focus on ball control to limit mistakes.