Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 12

1. Oklahoma (9-2, 8-0)

The Sooners flexed their muscles in harsh conditions in Morgantown, routing West Virginia 56-28. Now the only thing standing behind Oklahoma and another Big 12 title is Oklahoma State. And after starting the year 1-2, the Sooners have an outside shot of cracking the playoff with a Bedlam victory. 

2. Oklahoma State (9-2, 7-1)

The Cowboys overcame a slow first-half to blow out TCU 31-6. Junior quarterback Mason Rudolph will look to lead Oklahoma State to its first Big 12 title since 2011 this Saturday when the Cowboys take on the Sooners. The Cowboys were in the same situation last year, but were blown out 58-23. 

3. West Virginia (8-2, 5-2)

Turnovers proved too much to overcome in the Mountaineers loss to Oklahoma.  West Virginia fumbled three times in the first half, each of which led to a Sooner touchdown. Still, with very winnable games remaining against Baylor and Iowa State, the Mountaineers are still in line for a successful ten-win season. 

4. Kansas State (42-21)

Freshman running back Alex Barnes carried the Wildcats to a dominating 42-21 win over Baylor. The Wildcats handed the ball off to Barnes 19 times, by far his biggest workload of the season, and were rewarded with 129 yards and four touchdowns. After entering the year with modest expectations, the Wildcats are going bowling once again.

5. TCU (5-5, 3-4)

After an impressive win over Baylor last weekend, the Horned Frogs came back down to earth against Oklahoma State. TCU exploded for 62 points against the Bears, but was held to six points against a stout Cowboy defense.

6. Iowa State (3-8, 2-6)

The Cyclones are five games under .500, but they’ve played like one of the better teams in the conference over the past month. Iowa State clobbered Texas Tech 66-10 on Saturday for its second straight win, and the future looks bright for the Cyclones. 

7. Baylor (6-4, 3-4)

Did this team really start the season 6-0? The Bears have been uncompetitive for the past three weeks and have a realistic shot of finishing the year with six straight losses.

8. Texas (5-6, 3-5)

It’s hard to commit six turnovers and win a football game.  Freshman quarterback Shane Buechele threw three picks, junior running back D’Onta Foreman fumbled twice, and Texas lost to Kansas for the first time since 1938.

9. Kansas (2-9, 1-7)

The Jayhawks are probably still the worst Power Five team in the country, but it’s hard not to move them up a spot after an emotional win over Texas. It was their first win over an FBS opponent since 2014, and fans responded by tearing down a goalpost. 

10. Texas Tech (4-7, 2-6)

Things can’t get much worse for the Red Raiders defensively. Texas Tech gave up 608 yards and 66 points to Iowa State, the third time this year they’ve given up more than 60 points.