Nueces Mosque hosts Muslim solidarity demonstration

2016-11-21_Nueces_Mosque_Solidarity_Jenan
Jenan Taha

Austinites of many religions and ethnicities lined Nueces Street in West Campus on Friday, displaying messages of love and solidarity for the Muslim community.

More than 100 people attended, many carrying signs with messages of support such as “Strength and beauty in diversity,” “Our Muslim neighbors enrich our community” and “United Against Islamophobia.” Those in attendance wore green, the color of Islam, and shared encouraging words in an attempt to ease the anxiety of some local Muslims following Donald Trump’s election.

Matt Korn, organizer of the Support Our Muslim Neighbors event, said he was moved by the kindness and support Nueces Mosque imam Shaykh Mufti Mohamed-Umer Esmail displayed for the LGBT community of Austin following the Pulse nightclub shooting, so he moved quickly to organize a solidarity event in return.

“He wanted to show solidarity with the LGBTQ community,” Korn said. “After the election, we decided we wanted to show that solidarity and support back.”

UT students participated in the solidarity effort as well. Radio-television-film senior Catherine Williams said for real change to come, people have to demonstrate their support in person in order to make a difference.

“It’s a time in our country where we really need people to come out, put in two hours or however much time to show support for the things we care about,” Williams said. “You can’t make as much of an impact from behind your computer screen as this, right now.”

Williams said events such as Friday’s demonstration are not all that needs to be done, but they represent a starting point for healing racial divides.

“These are the steps we need to take in order to reverse the things that came to the surface as a result of the election, no matter who won,” Williams said. “Obviously, there’s more work that needs to be done, and this is how you do it.”

Plan II and neuroscience sophomore Sophia Toprac said it will take solidarity efforts across all communities in order to fight back against the problems minorities face.

“I think all minorities need to take care of each other, because honestly no one else is going to,” Toprac said. “Even if it’s a cause that doesn’t affect or impact us in any way.”

Kevin Butts, Middle Eastern studies graduate student and a convert to Islam, said face-to-face interactions such as Friday’s event can help educate those that still harbor hate or fear towards Muslims.

“The most important turning point is getting to know people who are Muslim,” Butts said. “They’re people, they have a way of life, they have a way of life that is valid and really very beautiful.”