Longhorns making noise early in NBA season

LonghornsintheNBA_WEB
Virginia Scherer

One month into the NBA regular season, teams now have a decent sample size of games under their belts and their rosters have started to gel. While still early in the year, many players have already exceeded expectations in 2016–17.

Here are five Longhorns who have impressed with their play thus far.

Kevin Durant, Forward, Golden State Warriors

Aside from a 29-point blowout loss against the San Antonio Spurs in the season opener, the Warriors have been unstoppable, thanks in large part to Kevin Durant’s contributions. Durant leads the team in points, averaging 27.1 per game to go along with 8.4 rebounds and 4.7 assists. The result has been a 16-2 record for Golden State, which currently leads the Western Conference.

LaMarcus Aldridge, Forward, San Antonio Spurs

In his second year with the Spurs, LaMarcus Aldridge has remained a consistent force in the San Antonio frontcourt. Aldridge is averaging 18.4 points and 6.7 rebounds while shooting a career high 47.1 percent from three. Aldridge’s stable presence has helped the Spurs become just the fifth team in league history to start the season 10-0 on the road. San Antonio is 14-3 on the season, good for No. 2 in the West.

Myles Turner, Center, Indiana Pacers

The Pacers promoted Myles Turner to the full-time starting center spot this season with lofty expectations, and he hasn’t disappointed. The second-year big man is fifth in the league in blocks, swatting away 2.4 shots per game, and is averaging 14.7 points and 7.6 rebounds. The Pacers are currently the seventh seed in the Eastern Conference with a 9-9 record.

Avery Bradley, Guard, Boston Celtics

Coming off a season-ending injury in the playoffs, Avery Bradley has elevated his game to the next level. Bradley is averaging 35.9 minutes, 17.9 points, 2.9 assists — all of which are career highs — and leads all shooting guards in rebounds, grabbing 7.9 per game. Despite Bradley’s standout play, Boston has gotten off to a relatively slow start with a record of 10-7, tied for the fifth seed in the East.

Isaiah Taylor, Guard, Rio Grande Valley Vipers

After failing to make the roster for the Houston Rockets, Isaiah Taylor has been torching opponents while playing in the NBA Development League. As the starting point guard for the Vipers, Taylor is averaging 23.8 points and 8.0 assists through five games. Taylor has been impressive shooting from the perimeter, launching 4.2 three-pointers per game while making them at a 43 percent clip. Taylor hopes to receive an NBA call-up in the near future.