No. 16 Longhorns take down Roadrunners to move above .500

2016-12-1_Texas_South_Carolina_Joshua

The No. 16 Longhorns are back to their winning ways.

Texas (5–4) has won three-straight games after defeating the UTSA Roadrunners (3–6) 76-43 Saturday night at the Frank Erwin Center. Both teams were riding two-game win streaks entering the matchup, but the Longhorns prevailed to move back above .500.

The Longhorns have worked to sharpen their defense since losing to four top-15 ranked opponents earlier in the season. Head coach Karen Aston said her team is starting to make improvements on the defensive front.

The Longhorns displayed a balanced scoring attack as six players scored more than eight points and three in double figures. Junior guard Tasia Foman led Texas in scoring with a career-high 14 points in as many minutes. Junior guard Ariel Atkins added 10 points and six boards in the winning effort.

Foman and junior guard Brooke McCarty –– Texas’ leading scorer on the season –– combined for five of Texas’ six 3-pointers on the night. With three daggers from behind the arc, McCarty moved into ninth all-time in school history with 124 career 3-point makes.

Senior center Kelsey Lang recorded 11 points and 13 rebounds to notch her second-straight double-double performance and fourth of the season.  

The Longhorns started the game with an 11-0 run and never looked back, leading from start to finish in a commanding 33-point victory. Texas held the Roadrunners scoreless until midway through the first quarter and to their lowest scoring performance of the season. The Roadrunners shot 23.4 percent from the field and went 1-14 from behind the arc.

UTSA’a leading scorer, junior guard Loryn Goodwin, struggled from the field and finished with a mere four points on 0-11 shooting. Junior guard Crystal Chidomere led the Roadrunners with 13 points on 16-16 shooting.

The Longhorns continued their dominance under the basket, grabbing a season-high 58 rebounds to the Roadrunners’ 36. Texas has won the rebound battle in each of its nine games this season.

The Longhorns continue their five-game home stand on Tuesday as they take on New Orleans in their final game before conference play begins. The game will tip at 7 p.m. at the Frank Erwin Center.