No. 16 Longhorns pick up first road win on New Year’s Day

2016-11-16_Texas_vs_Houston_Baptist_Joshua

The No. 16 Longhorns started 2017 with their first road win of the season.

Texas (8–4, 2–0 Big 12) defeated Iowa State (9–4, 0–2 Big 12) 75-68 Sunday in a game that came down to the final seconds.

The Longhorns led for most of the contest, but the Cyclones stormed back in the fourth to give the Longhorns trouble. With 4:10 remaining, Iowa State went up 58-57, which was its first lead since the second quarter. But Texas battled right back, answering with a 9-0 run.

Junior guard Jadda Buckley’s three-pointer with 23 seconds remaining cut Iowa State’s deficit to three and a Texas turnover gave the Cyclones a chance to potentially tie the game. But the Cyclones threw the ball out of bounds, giving it right back to the Longhorns.

The Longhorns went 7–8 from the free-throw line in the game’s final, action-packed minute and 12–16 on the day. A strong defensive effort –– especially in closing time –– and success at the free-throw line sealed the deal for the Longhorns as they picked up their sixth consecutive victory.

Junior guard Ariel Atkins led the way for the burnt orange with a season-high 25 points, including the go-ahead three-pointer that gave Texas a late lead it didn’t relinquish. Atkins shot 10–17 from the field and connected on 3–5 from beyond the arc.

Senior center Kelsey Lang recorded her sixth double-double of the season with 11 points and a game-high 12 rebounds in addition to five blocks. Junior guard Brooke McCarty added 13 points and six assists.    

The Longhorns will continue the new year on the road as they travel to Lawrence, Kansas, to take on the Jayhawks on Wednesday.