Five thoughts from Texas’ 64-61 loss to TCU

2017-01-11_Texas_vs_TCU_Rachel
Rachel Zein

Texas fell to 7-9 overall and 1-3 in the Big 12 after a 64-61 loss to TCU at the Frank Erwin Center on Tuesday. Here are five thoughts from the game.

Historic win for TCU

The Horned Frogs’ victory on Wednesday night snaps a 14-game losing streak when playing the Longhorns in Austin, a drought that dates back more than 30 years. Since joining the Big 12 in 2012, the Frank Erwin Center had been a house of horrors for TCU, where the Horned Frogs had lost their previous four meetings by an average of nearly 16 points.

“[Coach Jamie Dixon] made this game a big deal,” TCU freshman guard Jaylen Fisher said. “It meant a lot. I wanted to send this whole team off with a bang.”

Remember his name

Vladimir Brodziansky may not exactly roll off the tongue, but Texas will not be forgetting the name of TCU’s junior forward anytime soon. Brodziansky finished with a game-high 19 points, and Texas was without answers for the 6-foot-11 forward’s mix of outside touch and finesse around the basket. The junior scored eight points during the game’s final eight minutes and was a pivotal part of the Horned Frogs’ late game rally.

“He did good, I’ll give it to him,” freshman forward Jarrett Allen said. “He had a good right-handed hook over his left shoulder, and he ran the floor well. I think it was just a good matchup.”

Lack of true point guard

The Longhorns’ lack of a true point guard continues to be a hindrance on the team. While loaded with plenty of scorers at the guard position, Texas lacks a ball-handler that can orchestrate the offense, especially in late-game situations. Texas guards combined for nine turnovers to only 10 assists and struggled with decision making down the stretch. Trailing by one with 20 seconds left, sophomore guard Kerwin Roach Jr.’s attempt at a circus-shot layup was one of the most questionable decisions of the night.

Allen shines

The play of Allen was a major bright spot for the Longhorns. Allen finished with a team-high 18 points on an efficient 8–14 from the field. The freshman showcased his touch around the rim all night and demonstrated his ability to successfully pass out of the post. Allen has evolved into the most reliable offensive option for Texas midway through the season and only seems to be improving. Shockingly, the forward garnered zero touches with under a minute left in the game and things hanging in the balance.

“Jarrett provided some good crucial buckets for us and got good position down low,” Roach said. “He did everything you could ask for.”

Texas still struggling with turnovers, shooting

Poor shooting and turnovers have plagued the Longhorns all season. Against TCU, these issues manifested themselves at the least opportune time. Leading 53-46 with 8:48 left in the game, the Texas offense collapsed. The team made only three of their 10 attempts over that final stretch and committed four costly turnovers.