Men’s tennis defeats SMU 4-1

After dropping the initial doubles point in a closely contested series, Texas won out in its remaining singles games to secure the weekend win and improve to 3–0 on the season.

Texas senior George Goldhoff and freshman Leonardo Telles swept the Mustangs 6-0 at second doubles, but their victory was overshadowed by close losses on the first and third positions. 

Despite the early struggles, the Longhorns’ doubles performance impressed Texas head coach Michael Center. 

“The doubles (point) was a real battle,” Center said. “We played great at No. 2 to win at 6-0, which was fantastic. We lost two very tough matches at Nos. 1 and 3 but the guys battled back and won five first sets in singles.”

Freshman Yuya Ito evened the score at second singles, dispatching Hunter Johnson 7-5, 6-4 to remain unbeaten in dual-match play. Sophomore Harrison Scott then posted a narrow win at fourth singles to give Texas the lead. 

Longhorn freshman Christian Sigsgaard defeated Ronald Slobodchikiv in a three-set match, and sophomore Julian Zlobinsky polished off a 7-6, 6-2 win at fifth singles to clinch the Texas victory.

“I thought it was a great team win today,” Center said. “The guys had a great attitude and just a great team spirit. Obviously we have a lot of work to do. But, it’s tough to beat SMU here, so I was really proud of the guys.” 

Texas’ No. 4 ITA preseason ranking is its highest since 2009. The Longhorns hope to continue their hot streak against Tulsa and Arkansas this weekend.