Men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams earn more honors

Just a day after Clark Smith and Madisyn Cox were named National Swimmers of the Week, three more Longhorns received accolades for their efforts in the pool this past week. 

For the women, junior swimmer Rebecca Millard earned Big 12 Women’s Swimmer of the Week while sophomore diver Meghan O’Brien received the conference’s Women’s Diver of the Week honor.

Millard helped stun then-No. 2 Georgia in Athens, Georgia, by anchoring the team’s 200 medley relay squad to a dramatic triumph. She also took home individual victories in both the 50- and 100-meter freestyle races. 

O’Brien brought forth victories at both the one-meter and three-meter diving levels in a Texas victory over then-No.14 Auburn. She placed second in both of those levels at Georgia, falling behind fellow teammate Alison Gibson both times. 

The women’s prowess in the upset victory at Georgia vaulted the team to No. 1 in the nation ahead of next weekend’s home meet with Arizona. 

On the men’s side, the Big 12 awarded senior swimmer Will Licon with Men’s Swimmer of the Week. Licon is a six-time NCAA champion in addition to
being an All-American. 

The senior stayed true to his dominant form in winning 5 of his 6 events to help lead Texas to victories over Auburn and Georgia. The men’s team remains ranked No. 2 nationally before taking on Arizona Jan. 27–28.

—Tyler Horka