Robinson, Gordon set to begin spring season

The Longhorns are set to kick off another indoor track and field season with goals to improve upon last season’s success.

At the 2016 NCAA Indoor National Championships, the men and women placed fifth and fourth, respectively. The women also brought home a fourth place finish at the 2016 NCAA Outdoor National Championships.

Over the summer, many Longhorns participated in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, including senior Byron Robinson, who placed ninth in the 400–meter hurdles. Senior Chrisann Gordon also made an appearance in Rio, winning a silver medal for Jamaica as the third leg of the 4×400 meter relay.

The Longhorns anticipate another big season on the horizon. The AP Preseason Poll ranks both teams in the Top 10, with the men coming in at No. 7 and the women at No. 5. Burnt orange fans can look forward to supporting an abundance of elite Longhorns, many of which are ranked in the Top 25 of their respective events.

Led by Gordon, the women’s 4×400 relay team is currently ranked No. 1 in the nation. Junior Ariel Jones and sophomore Zola Golden join Gordon in the relay, both of whom participated in the event last season.

For the men, senior sprinters Senoj-Jay Givans and Aldrich Bailey Jr. are set to participate with Robinson in the 4×400 relay event this season. Givans became the first Longhorn to run a legal sub-10 second in the 100-meter relay last season and is ranked No. 5 in the 60-meter event.

Junior Kally Long looks to defend her No. 1 ranking in the pole vault. Long started her season with a career-best performance by clearing 4.37 and 4.42 meters (14-6.00) at the Texas A&M Team Invitational.

Longhorn field athletes are set to compete in the Cherry & Silver Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico while the track athletes will participate in the Rod McCravy Memorial in Lexington, Kentucky. Both events begin on Friday.