Longhorns complete season sweep of Red Raiders

2017-01-07_Texas_vs_TCU_Zoe
Zoe Fu

Texas Tech boasted an undefeated record on its home court entering Saturday’s matchup with No. 12 Texas. But the Longhorns had plans of extending a streak of their own.

Texas (14–4, 8–0 Big 12) handed the Red Raiders (11–7, 3–4 Big 12) their first loss in Lubbock this season in a 20-point rout, 77-57. 

With the victory, the Longhorns extended their winning streak to 12 and rolled to their first 8–0 conference start in program history.

“I’m just happy to be getting a win in Lubbock,” Texas head coach Karen Aston said. “For us to come in and handle our business the way we did makes me really proud of our kids.”

Freshman forward Joyner Holmes brought energy and size for the Longhorns with 13 points and a career-high 15 rebounds. Holmes notched back-to-back double-doubles after recording 20 points and 10 boards in Tuesday’s win over No. 20 Oklahoma.

Holmes produced her fourth double-double of the season, the second-most in that category for the burnt orange behind senior center Kelsey Lang, who has six. Holmes, who has started in all eight conference games for the Longhorns, is averaging 13.1 points and 8.8 rebounds per game against Big 12 opponents. 

Contributions from Texas’ dynamic backcourt helped the Longhorns sweep the season series against the Red Raiders for the fourth consecutive year. Junior guards Brooke McCarty and Ariel Atkins joined Holmes in double figures with 14 and 13 points, respectively. McCarty, Texas’ leading scorer, holds a team-high 40 three-point makes on the season, recording a triple in 17 of Texas’ 18 games.

McCarty drained a three in Texas’ opening possession and the burnt orange never looked back. The Longhorns led by as many as 24 in the victory. 

Texas’ efficiency on the boards and ball protection helped secure the victory and season sweep of the Red Raiders. The Longhorns, who have outrebounded their opponents in all but two contests this season, grabbed 50 rebounds on the night to the Red Raiders’ 38.

Texas struggled with turnovers in its four losses this season, but secured the ball in Lubbock to tie its season low of nine giveaways.

Junior center Jada Terry led with 15 points and six rebounds for the Red Raiders, who have lost two consecutive games by 20 points or more. Junior forward Dayo Olabode added 10 points and four rebounds.  

Up next, Texas finishes out its two-game road stretch as it travels to Fort Worth to face the Horned Frogs on Wednesday at 8 p.m.