McCombs’ Bachelor of Business Administration program celebrates 100 years of legacy

2016-07-10_McCombs_Stock_Zoe
Zoe Fu

This May, the McCombs School of Business will present its 100th year of bachelor’s degrees in business administration to the class of 2017. 

The school was founded in 1912 with no more than 30 students and planted its roots in innovation, leadership and lifelong learning, according to the school’s website. A century later, the McCombs School of Business is home to more than 80,000 alumni and includes international satellite locations. Today, the McCombs program focuses on undergraduate research and promotes diversity, consistently landing in the top 10 national programs, according to the school’s website.

Undergraduate students stay current with some of the cutting-edge work in business academia that can then translate into deeper insights and a more nuanced understanding of how the business world works. The program’s focus on research dates back to the 1970s, when IC Squared, a think tank devoted to research, was
created at the University.

McCombs assistant professor Ram Ranganathan, who has won awards for research, said research is a crucial component of growing students’ critical thinking abilities that continues to benefit them in the professional business world.

“When students participate in research, they get a richer exposure to the burning questions in the field, the theories and their limitations and the whole process of knowledge creation,” Ranganathan said. “This can have a tremendous effect on their critical thinking and problem-solving abilities beyond what is possible in a traditional classroom setting.”

Aside from research, the school has highlighted diversity to prepare students for a global business society. The first woman graduated with a bachelor’s degree in business administration in 1920 and the first African-American in 1963. Today, the school has a diversity council and sponsors diversity initiatives with corporations such as American Airlines and AT&T to network with and mentor students.

Government junior Tehreem Shahab, an officer of Students for Equity and Diversity, said exposure to diversity is necessary to train students to understand and respect individuals with differing opinions.

“Diversity training brings in different mindsets and allows students to see issues from a different standpoint,” Shahab said. “Working in a global market means exposing yourself to different cultures and languages and being prepared to collaborate with people who have unique perspectives.”

The degree has a long history, and students said they carry its legacy on with enthusiasm.

“Going into the business school means going into a place where you know your peers will be able to help you,” finance freshman Kitahn Navissi said. “The older students at McCombs astound me. All they’ve been able to accomplish … (is) inspiring. I hope to be as successful as they are before I graduate in 2020.”