Traditions blend at Lunar New Year fest

2017-01-27_Lunar_New_Year_Celebration_Chase
Chase Karacostas

Last night, the Asian American Culture student organization celebrated the Lunar New Year with an event that showcased the vibrancy of the traditional Asian celebration.

The event was held in the Student Activity Center ballroom on Jan. 26. The true day of celebration is Saturday, Jan. 28, however, AAC decided the Thursday prior would be more convenient for students. The event was marked by traditional activities, foods, music and performances characteristic of this celebration. Students of different descents gathered to take part in the festivities.

Different campus organizations had booths such as Taiwanese American Students Association, Student Community of Asian Nurses, Center for Asian American Studies and Chinese Student Association. In addition to these booths, the event featured a calligraphy booth, which represented another traditional aspect of
the celebration. 

“I wanted it (the celebration) to show both the modern and the traditional,”
Caleb Chang, event coordinator and biochemistry junior, said. “My family would always hang red banners with wishes for the New Year. The organizations are important to let people look at our culture. The organization booths represent the modern and the calligraphy booth represents
the traditional.” 

The tradition of hanging the red banner dates back 4,000 years and contains written wishes for the
New Year.

The event featured live music and dance performances. Traditional Japanese and Mediterranean food were also prepared for
the celebration.

The Lunar New Year is celebrated in an assortment of Asian countries such as Vietnam, Taiwan, China and Thailand. Primarily, the customs are centered on giving thanks for the goodness the past year brought, and the hope and prayer of a similar one to follow.

The tradition is celebrated differently by different Asian countries and by the different groups present at the event. Some students said they celebrate by cleaning and cooking meals for their ancestors, while others receive red envelopes filled with money from their elders.

“My family is from Vietnam,”  Christine Mai, biochemistry freshman, said. “Our tradition is to go to the temple to celebrate. We donate some money and pray for good luck for the year.”

AAC is a group of students within Campus Events and Entertainment that strives to promote Asian culture awareness and host diverse events throughout the school year.

“I love the people here,” Bich Nguyen, event coordinator and undeclared freshman, said. “It is like a family away from home. Everyone is very motivated and that’s why we can have events like this one.”