UT Libraries determined to find perfect global studies liaison

2017-01-25_PCL_Katie
Katie Bauer

The UT Libraries Department is in the process of hiring a new global studies liaison in the field of European studies.

The department is busy interviewing candidates for the liaison position, who are responsible for facilitating the use of library material and are ready to work directly with students on various topics. Liaisons have specialized language skills and knowledge of regional cultures and societies, and are prepared to assist with a wide variety of inquires, department officials said.

“For all of our liaison recruitments, the libraries invite faculty involvement to attend presentations by the candidates, and also interview with the candidate to better understand his or her knowledge, skills, abilities and desire to support the faculty members and students,” said Jennifer Heath, UT Libraries assistant director of human resources. 

UT libraries spokesman Travis Willmann said one thing they are looking for is a candidate who can further advance the changes across the libraries. 

“We’re committed to retaining the most qualified and forward thinking staff possible,” Willmann said. “Given the dynamic change the libraries are currently experiencing, we’re looking for creative individuals who can look to and strategize for the library of the future.” 

This vacant GSL position comes after the retirement of Paul Rascoe, a GSL in the field of African-American studies who worked at UT Libraries for 31 years. Rascoe’s retirement last summer reaffirmed the importance of having qualified librarians at UT, officials said.

“These are critical positions because they’re supporting the research of students and the research endeavors of the faculty, so we need really high-caliber librarians,” said Catherine Hamer, UT Libraries director of academic engagement.

Willmann said UT Libraries has undergone significant restructuring, which makes the search for a perfect candidate much more difficult. 

“These changes were made to enable new approaches in support of the information and scholarly needs of our campus, including prioritizing deep, subject-based collaborations, digital scholarship and collections of distinction,” Willmann said. 

Once hired, the new GSL will be positioned to develop new and curate existing collections. He or she will also be responsible for initiating, collaborating and facilitating transformations in higher education through significant partnerships with their user communities, Willmann said.

UT Libraries has narrowed down the applicant pool to the top three candidates. They expect to have their final decision ready within one week after a series of final interviews.