Event preview: Climate scientist to reveal secret to talking about climate change

According to climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe, the key to discussing climate change involves talking about everything but the science. 

Hayhoe, who directs the Climate Science Center at Texas Tech University, will give a talk on Friday as part of the UT Environmental Science Institute’s “Hot Science — Cool Talks” Series. Named as one of Christianity Today’s 50 Women to Watch in 2012, she will speak about the future of sustainability in the political and religious environment of Texas.

In a phone interview, Hayhoe said she plans to talk about the non-scientific reasons people use to deny climate change, including religion, politics, money and ideology.

“What I’ve found is that science is not the answer,” Hayhoe said. “In fact, arguing (about) the science actually deepens the divide.”

She said the key to talking about climate is focusing on solutions to climate change that are good for the economy. 

“If we recognize the true reasons people reject climate change, which usually have nothing to do with the science, then we can tackle it in a way that builds bridges,” Hayhoe said. 

The event, held at the Paramount Theater, begins at 7 p.m., and will feature live music by rock singer Dana Falconberry. Tickets, which include admission to a science fair before Hayhoe’s speech, are $10 for UT students.