Longhorns take care of business against Virginia Tech

No. 10 Texas (7–1) bested Virginia Tech on Saturday with a 4-3 victory at Weller Tennis Center.

Sophomores Julian Zlobinsky and Harrison Scott kicked things off for the Longhorns in doubles play with a 6-3 win over Henrik Korsgaard and Jason Kros.

The Hokies responded as Mitch Harper and Alexandre Ribeiro defeated the duo of sophomore Colin Markes and freshman Christian Sigsgaard, 6-3.

With the doubles point at stake, senior George Goldhoff and sophomore Leonardo Telles completed a 6-4 comeback win over Virginia Tech’s Jai Corbett and Abraham Asaba.

“I thought (Goldhoff and Telles) played well,” head coach Michael Center said. “They made some mistakes early, but they fought back. That turned out to be a big point for us today.”

Junior John Mee earned Texas its third point in singles play with a 6-1, 6-0 blowout over George Cartledge.

Scott followed suit with a 6-3, 7-5 outing against Harper, extending his singles streak to seven. The Canadian has not dropped a set since October.

“He’s got a very dynamic game,” Center said. “He hits the ball heavy and he’s always prepared, so he’s tough to handle out there.”

Telles fared better in singles play, defeating Kros 7-6, 6-2. The win secured the match for the Longhorns as they earned their fourth point in the best-of-seven contest. The Hokies finished strong, however, winning the final three games.

Texas continues its homestand on Feb. 12 with two back-to-back contests against Purdue and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The Longhorns are hoping to find their rhythm before the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, which begins on Feb. 17.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do this week,” Center said. “We need to play better on Sunday if we want to go to Charlottesville and compete with the best teams.”