Straus assigns committees in Texas House

Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives Joe Straus revealed committee assignments for the 85th legislative session Thursday morning.

Straus placed each of the 150 House members on one or more committees, according to a statement released today.

There are 38 standing committees and two specialized committees, which investigate timely issues or problems, according to a Texas politics document. During this session, the specialized committees will address “state and federal power and responsibility” and “Texas ports, innovation and infrastructure.”

Eleven previous committee chairs will return to lead new committees while eight representatives will chair a committee for the first time, according to the press release.

Rep. Straus said he believes the assignments represent the diversity of the House.

“Some very good members are taking on new challenges,” Straus said in the press release. “I’m looking forward to their leadership. There is always a balance to strike between continuity and fresh thinking, and I think we have the right mix.”

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick released Senate committee assignments last month. Among the 14 committees he set, the Senate Finance Committee, chaired by Sen. Jane Nelson, and the State Affairs Committee, chaired by Sen. Joan Huffman, have already conducted public hearings.

Bills that have been passed by a majority vote out of the Senate, such as Senate Bill 4 that proposes a ban on sanctuary cities, will be referred to and discussed by
House committees.

Following today’s announcement, House committees will start conducting meetings next week, starting with a House Administration Committee meeting on Monday
at 12:30 p.m.