Longhorns shine on the road in Washington, Arkansas

2016-02-10_Track_Practice_StephanieTacy1111
Stephanie Tacy

The Longhorns achieved solid performances all around at a pair of meets over the weekend and proved once again they are not to be overlooked.

Senior mid-distance runner Mary Beth Hamilton shed a full second off the school record with a time of 4:39.11 in the mile run at the Husky Classic in Seattle, Washington. The time secured Hamilton a ninth-place finish in the event and ranks as the top mark in the Big 12 this season.

The previous record, held by Liz Diaz, had been untouched since the Big 12 Championship in 2000.

Pole vaulter Barrett Poth also achieved a personal best at the meet. Poth came away victorious, clearing 5.50 meters (18-00.50) on his first attempt, which ranks seventh in the country this year. Poth was unable to clear his attempt at 5.60 meters.

“For Barrett to come out and have a personal record in four straight meets is tremendous,” assistant coach Ty Sevin said. “He has taken training seriously and put in the work to get better every week.”

Texas’ sprinters also came away with impressive finishes at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

The men’s 4×400 meter relay team took second place in a dramatic finish with a time of 3:04.95, :07 seconds behind Arkansas’ winning time. It was the second-best finish in Texas history.  

Junior Aldrich Bailey Jr. led the team with a winning split time of 45 seconds and passed Florida’s sprinter during the final 100 meters of the anchor leg.

“You’ve got a goal, you’re competing and watching the clock because you know what it’s going to take to get to the national meet,” head coach Mario Sategna said. “I was really pleased with each of the legs.”

Sophomore Teahna Daniels impressed with her performance in the 200 meters. Her time of 23.74 seconds, a personal record, ranks fourth in the conference and puts her in contention for the Big 12 Championship in two weeks.

Aside from the distance crew, Texas will rest its athletes next week in preparation for the conference championships.

“Most importantly, we leave here healthy and I’m very pleased with what we were able to do,” Sategna said. “I know the rest of the coaching staff will do what they need to do in order to get each of our groups ready for the Big 12 Championship.”