Harry Ransom Center reveals new spring programs

photo_court
Courtesy of Harry Ransom Center

The Harry Ransom Center will now allow the UT community to travel back in time to understand the struggles and complexity behind history’s famous works of art, including its well-known exhibit of the first photograph ever taken.

Through its new spring lectures and interactive programs, including “Stories to Tell: Selections from the Harry Ransom Center,” the Center continues to add perspective and relevance to the historic value of its collections.

Danielle Sigler, associate director for scholarly programs at the HRC, said the new lectures, films and other types of programs complement the Center’s existing collections and exhibitions. 

“The Harry Ransom Center brings artists, writers and scholars to the University to foster important conversations about the humanities and their value,” Sigler said. “We provide opportunities for University students and faculty to meet with visiting speakers and co-sponsor events with colleges and academic units on campus to help fulfill our mission.”

During the academic year, the Center hosts writers, photographers and scholars, providing a broad audience with the unique opportunity to engage with them. The first new program, “From Mainz to Austin: Carl H. Pforzheimer’s Gutenberg Bible,” was unveiled this semester on Feb. 9.

“We hope that these free programs, like our collections and exhibitions, inspire the 3,000 to 4,000 people who attend them annually,” Sigler said.

Jennifer Tisdale, director of public affairs at the HRC, said through the exhibition, the Center aims to fulfill its mission to encourage discovery, inspire creativity and advance understanding of the humanities for a larger audience through its collection. 

“The programs support the (Center’s) exhibitions, collections, the humanities and topics relating to research libraries and special collections,” Tisdale said.

Along with new presentations, such as illustrated lectures on the works of Mary Hutchinson, the Center will also provide unique twists to previous exhibits, such as “A New History of the ‘First Photograph,” where the historical moment will be given new perspectives.

Psychology freshman Sonia Patel, who often visits the Center, said each exhibit is unique in its ability to transport visitors to the past.

“You look at everything that was innovative at the time and look how much things have changed up to now,” Patel said. “It just goes to show that we live in an old world that’s constantly changing.”