National Academy of Engineering honors UT chemical engineering professor

engineering+proff
Courtesy of The Cockrell School of Engineering

Chemical engineering professor David Allen was recently elected a member of the National Academy of Engineering, a nonprofit institution dedicated to leadership and service, as announced on the academy’s website.

The NAE announced its newest inductees on Wednesday, electing 84 members and 22 foreign members. An election to the NAE is among the highest professional recognitions an engineer can receive, according to the institution’s official nomination statement.

Allen was qualified for the nomination for his contribution to the improvement of air quality and his work in sustainable engineering education, according to the NAE’s website.

Allen said the recent election not only honors his work, but his students and staff of the Cockrell School of Engineering, as well.

“It is a great honor to have the work I have done at the University of Texas recognized by the National Academy of Engineering,” Allen said in an email. “This recognition not only honors my work, but also the work of the superb students and staff of the Cockrell School of Engineering.”

In addition to Allen, five UT alumni were inducted into the distinguished academy: Sergio Manuel Alcocer, Ali Dogru, Noboru Kikuchi, Deb Niemeier and Randall Poston.

As the director of the Center for Energy and Environmental Resources in Cockrell, Allen is a leader both in research and education, said Cockrell dean Sharon Wood, in a UT News press release.

“We are extremely proud of David, whose leadership on several influential air quality studies has led to new approaches to reducing emissions globally,” Wood said in the release. “In addition to his achievements in research, his work developing engineering educational programs through his innovative Engineer Your World curriculum has engaged thousands of high school students across the country. David truly exemplifies engineering leadership.” 

According to the NAE website, the institution currently has more than 2,000 members who promote the well-being of the nation through engineering. In the past four years, nine UT professors have been inducted to the NAE. UT has among the highest NAE memberships with a total of 39 current members, according to the school’s website. 

Chemical engineering senior Sebastian Eder said recognitions like Allen’s make him feel optimistic about his future career. 

“(I feel) pretty hopeful,” Eder said. “The chemical engineering school gets pretty high rankings, and it is partly because of recognition of professors and alumni here, which recruiters and grad schools like.”