Longhorns look to define season in New Orleans

In the city known as “The Big Easy,” life is anything but that. The unique people of New Orleans work hard and overcome adversity in order to achieve their desires.

The same can be said of this year’s crop of Longhorns.

It will be fitting to see Texas play in a gritty city when it partakes in the 2017 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate at English Turn Golf and Country Club in New Orleans early next week.

Halfway through the 2016-2017 season, the Longhorns have been rock-solid, never finishing worse than fourth overall as a team at every tournament thus far.

With one tournament victory under their belt at the Lady Paladin Invitational at Furman University Golf Club, the Longhorns are looking to add another team triumph to their résumé this weekend.

The strength of this Longhorn club will be put to the test as they prepare to face Stanford, Florida and Arizona, along with several other highly competitive teams.  

Success has come in the form of freshmen Greta Volker and Emilee Hoffman — both top-50 players in the nation — who are keeping pace with the high bars they set for themselves earlier in the year.

Junior Sophia Schubert averages just over 72.5 strokes per round this year, while senior Haley Mills is coming off her best performance of the year. Moving forward, the Longhorns look to rely on their upperclassmen to carry the team to success.

The tournament is set to begin Sunday and will run through Tuesday, Feb. 21.