300: Warm coffee and warm hearts, the story of a working mom

2017-02-22_Cappys_Place_Barista_Chase
Chase Karacostas

Editor’s note: In 300 words or fewer, this series spotlights people in our community whose stories typically go untold.

Students and faculty at the Belo Media Center recognize the manager of Cappy’s Place for her warm smile, but they don’t know that when the cafe closes, her job as a mom begins.

Jennifer Mier recently started managing Cappy’s Place after working on campus for 16 years, but her biggest pride is her infant son, Christopher.

Though Mier said she likes her job because of its lenient hours and fun atmosphere, she said her favorite part is interacting with students.

“I love the kids here, they come from other buildings just to come see me,” Mier said.

After work, Mier spends the rest of her day cooking, cleaning, and spending time with Christopher until he falls asleep.

“It’s a challenge but I do what I need to do to take care of my son,”  Mier said.

Close family members help take care of Christopher, but Mier said the most important source of support is her girlfriend of four years, Letty. Mier said the loving relationship she has with her partner is an important aspect of her son’s life.

“He has two moms. We raise our son together,” Mier said. “Without her, I do not think I would be able to do all this alone.”

Letty is also a working mother, but makes her family with Mier a priority.  

“She’s a sweetheart,” Mier said. “She is the one.”

Mier’s advice to other working parents is to remember that despite the difficulties they face, the work they do is for their children.

“Whatever it is — whatever the job is — we just gotta keep on doing it for those babies,” Mier said. “It’s rough. Our babies look up to us, we gotta keep raising them.”