Gender pay gap creates ‘housing gap’ among singles

There is no denying that Austin has been gaining popularity — people move here from across the country, and it even topped the list of the 20 best U.S. cities to live in for 2017. But even a city as incredible as Austin has unfavorable aspects that need to be addressed.

Austin’s real estate market is one of many that has been proven to be unfair for single women, according to a study done by PropertyShark. While being a single woman and wanting to live alone already limit one’s choices, matters are made worse when women earn less than men. The industry’s rule of thumb is that no more than 30 percent of one’s income should go to rent or mortgage payments. When this rule is applied to cities in Texas — Houston, Fort Worth, and Austin — the housing market becomes unaffordable for single women.

Single women’s median income is noticeably lower than men’s in almost every city included in the study. This limits their choices on housing, while their counterparts are awarded more financial freedom. The root of this issue can be narrowed down to a problem that has been proved, study after study, as the gender wage gap.

Nationally, women make 22 percent less than men for the same job. These numbers get more depressing and alarming when you compare wage gaps between ethnicities, with minorities earning significantly less than white men and women.      

Fixing the wage gap does not happen overnight — multiple policy changes have to happen before this problem is dismantled. Creating a company and societal culture that does not let gender norms or race dictate wages is an important first step in having pay equality. This will also ensure that women and men looking to live on their own have plenty of options in the housing market.   

Suazo is a communication studies senior.