Burley-Guerra brings unique perspectives from outside SG

SG_PORTRAIT_EMMANUEL
Emmanuel Briseño

To learn, to have fun, to grow, to build friendships, to watch great football, to have the best academic education in the entire state — these reasons only partially detail my thought process as I considered attending the University of Texas. More than these, however, when I came down to visit Texas my senior year of high school, the phrase inscribed on the tower spoke to me with much greater effect than anything else: “Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.” The inscription, taken directly from John 8:32, elucidated two truths to me at the time. First, it is for purposes far grander than I could ever imagine that I am being drawn toward the University of Texas. And secondly, apart from the great hunt for that elusive truth and apart from the possibility to share truth, no reason exists for me to attend the University of Texas. 

As I consider that which brought me here, the issue on which I intend to focus — should I be elected Student Body president — becomes abundantly clear: to help students find the truth. 

Despite the simplicity of this maxim, it’s dense, it’s bold, and it’s quite contrary to the current Student Government policy. Truth does not mean that I attempt to impose my religious, philosophical or political beliefs on students. The truth to which I’m referring is a Student Government return to real issues so that students may continue on their quest for truth unhindered by the politics that divide, frustrate and often don’t matter to them.

We, the students of the University of Texas (the reason for which the Student Government exists), have far too easily allowed Student Government to become mock-Capitol Hill. While SG members strut around, imagining that they are purporting public policy on a national level, we, the students, are left to the cold, wondering if anyone cares for our student issues. Whether SG members invoke lasting political change or not, the resounding response from students should be, “How do your politics matter to me, the student?” and “Hey, before you vote on your political beliefs, can you maybe try to get rid of our ludicrous transcript fees or our inability to actually register for the classes we want? Or, could you address the dearth of ways to get home safely from 6th Street or East Campus?”

I might be the only one able to address these real issues because I actually have been a real student during my time on the 40 Acres. I’m not a creation of Student Government — I’m a student who has been plagued by a plethora of issues that go unaddressed by Student Government. My unique qualification for this position is my lack of SG qualifications. All I know is student life. I firmly believe that’s exactly what makes me the most suited for the job.

Burley is a philosophy and government junior from Sherman. He is running with Robert Guerra, a finance junior from San Antonio.