No. 7 Texas remains undefeated at home, beating Wichita State 6-1

2017-02-24_mens_tennis_wichita_state_rachel
Rachel Zein

Sophomore Leonardo Telles let out a powerful yell, pumping his fists as the burnt orange crowd at Weller Tennis Courts rose to its feet in applause.

The Brazilian’s 7-6 (4), 6-2 victory over Wichita State’s Eddie Stoica secured the fourth point for No. 7 Texas (12–2) on Friday in their 6-1 thrashing of the Shockers.

“Being the one to finish the match is very special,” Telles said. “But every point counts, whether it’s the first one in doubles play or the last one in singles.”

The Longhorns imposed their will on Wichita State from the first serve. The duo of freshman Christian Sigsgaard and sophomore Julian Zlobinsky set the tone, taking down Jocelyn Devilliers and Marius Frosa 6-2 to give Texas the doubles point.

It didn’t take long for the Longhorns to strike first in singles play either. Freshman Yuya Ito breezed by Devilliers 6-1, 6-2 to put Texas in the driver’s seat.

Zlobinsky also got in on the action with a 6-2, 6-3 thumping of Wichita State’s Murkel Dellien. The Shockers attempted to claw their way back into the match, getting on the board as Haru Inoue bested Sigsgaard 6-2, 7-5.

But with the score reading 3-1, Telles delivered the final haymaker.

“I’m happy with the way they competed,” assistant head coach Bruce Berque said. “They were pushed, but I liked the way our guys handled the challenge. I think we got better from this match.”

With the decision of the match no longer in question, the teams finished up the two remaining singles games. Sophomore Harrison Scott gave Texas a 5-1 lead with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 defeat of Miroslav Herzan.

Sophomore Rodrigo Banzer put the final exclamation mark on the night with a gritty 3-6, 7-6 (3), 1-0 (10-6) comeback win over Frosa. The victory extended Texas’ undefeated home record to 8–0 on the season.

“It feels good to be unbeaten at home,” Telles said. “We’re definitely going to try and keep that streak going.”

Next up on the schedule for the Longhorns is a highly anticipated rematch with No. 3 Wake Forest on March 4. The Demon Deacons squeaked by Texas with a nail biting 4-3 win last week in the quarterfinals of the ITA Indoor Championship.

“I think there will be some extra motivation for the players,” Berque said. “They definitely have a lot of healthy respect for Wake Forest, but it’s easy to get excited anytime you get the chance to exact a little revenge.”