Texas ranks fifth in latest tournament

The No. 14 men’s golf team finished fifth this weekend at the Querencia Cabo Collegiate. They performed a distant 23 shots behind tournament champion No. 6 Oklahoma State, who finished at 29-under.

Sophomores Steven Chervony and junior Doug Ghim led the team, both finishing 4-under to tie for 13th. Senior Gavin Hall also notched a top-20 finish, posting two-under par and tying for 18th.

Chervony led going into the final round after posting 66 and 68 during the first two rounds, but a final round score of 75 dropped him out of the top-10. Head coach John Fields was still impressed by what he saw from the Florida-native.

“Steven Chervony had an outstanding tournament and gained valuable experience in the final group today,” Fields said.

Texas led after one round of the tournament, posting a team total of 273, but could not maintain its hot start. The Longhorns followed their day-one performance with scores of 282 and 291 to finish six-under as a team.

“Finishing top-five in this field was solid for our team,” Fields said. “Today’s round stings, but will add to our motivation for success.”

Next up the Longhorns head west for the Lamkin San Diego Classic at San Diego Country Club on Monday, March 13 and Tuesday, March 14.