Executive alliance elections result in disqualification and runoff

2016-07-10_Tower_Fountain_Stock_Zoe
Zoe Fu

Under the glowing Tower Thursday night, the Election Supervisory Board made an important announcement to a crowd gathered on the Main Mall — runoffs are coming.

The campus-wide elections for student body president and vice president started Feb. 15 between the three executive alliances of Isaiah Carter and Sydney O’Connell, Alejandrina Guzman and Micky Wolf and Blake Burley and Robert Guerra. The Carter-O’Connell and Guzman-Wolf tickets will have a runoff election starting next Wednesday, March 8 at 8 a.m. and lasting until March 9 at 5 p.m.

The Guzman-Wolf ticket received 4098 votes and 39.11 percent of the vote. The Carter-O’Connell campaign received 3445 votes and 32.87 percent of the vote, and the Burley-Guerra campaign received 2831 votes and 27.01 percent of the vote.

However, at 5:47 p.m., a little over an hour before the election announcements, student body presidential candidate Blake Burley received an email from the ESB regarding a Class D violation for failing to submit financial disclosures on time, disqualifying the alliance from the election. 

Micky Wolf, Plan II and business honors junior, said the Guzman-Wolf ticket is going to run a better version of the campaign than they ran during the first election cycle.

“We’re really passionate about what we’re doing,” Wolf said. “I think that we can do more to really engage the student body, and I think that we’re going to put everything we have, 115 percent, into the next seven days.”

An executive alliance needs more than 50 percent of the vote to win the general election. In a runoff election, only two alliances from the first round move to the second round for a final election cycle. The Carter-O’Connell and Guzman-Wolf tickets started campaigning at 12:01 a.m. today.

Government junior Isaiah Carter declined to comment.

Alejandrina Guzman, government and Mexican-American studies senior, said she is excited to improve her campaign.  

“I think that it’s just amazing to know what an awesome team we all have,” Guzman said. “(I’ll) just keep smiling, keep laughing and keep being that positive person that I’ve been throughout this entire season.” 

Burley, a philosophy and government junior, said the disqualification is disheartening but is not the end of the world.

“I think we did an awesome job,” Burley said. “I hope going forward that both of these candidates, who I love to death and who are awesome, all really work to represent all those students, and I hope they can push forward not a political agenda, but a Longhorn agenda.”

Burley said his team is not planning to file an appeal to the ESB for the disqualification.