No. 8 Texas gets another shot at No. 3 Wake Forest

2017-02-24_mens_tennis_wichita_state_rachel
Rachel Zein

No. 8 Texas (12–2) still remembers the sting of defeat after its loss to No. 3 Wake Forest earlier in the season.

The Longhorns have a chance for revenge as they take on the Demon Deacons Saturday at 3 p.m. at Caswell Tennis Center. The rematch will kick off Texas’ two-match weekend.

“They’re obviously a great team, but so are we,” redshirt freshman Leonardo Telles said. “We’re all pumped up to play them again.”

Every point is crucial whenever the two teams face off. The last four matches between Texas and Wake Forest resulted in nail-biting 4-3 duels. The Longhorns hold a 3–1 record in those meetings.

“Our players know just how tough Wake Forest is,” assistant head coach Bruce Berque said. “They came up just a bit short last time, but they’ll be ready.”

Texas is making its season debut at Caswell — a court in West Campus known for having a large student crowd — after posting a perfect 8–0 record at Weller Indoor Tennis Courts.

“The team takes pride in winning at home,” Berque said. “They’re definitely looking forward to having that big home crowd come Saturday.”

Texas wraps up its home stand Sunday at 3 p.m. with a match against Rice at Westwood Country Club. With the second half of the season now underway, the Longhorns recognize the need to finish strong.

“The first half of the season is important because that’s when you get better,” Berque said. “But the mark you make is what you do at the end of the year. It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.”