Schubert looks to continue excellence in Lubbock

2016-10-18_Womens_Golf_Juan
Juan Figueroa

The past two tournaments for junior Sophia Schubert have been anything but lackluster. 

Placing seventh in last weekend’s Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate marked the second-straight time Schubert finished a tournament in the top 10. The Longhorns hope Schubert’s dominance continues as they continue their march toward the Big 12 Tournament in late April.

The No. 21 Longhorns will compete in a day long tournament hosted by Texas Tech at Rawls Course in Lubbock, Texas. After a mediocre performance against tough opponents last week, Texas looks to return to form in Lubbock.

The Longhorns are one of four Big 12 teams ranked in the Golfweek top-25, behind No. 18 Oklahoma State and No. 21 Baylor. Oklahoma sits beneath the Longhorns at No. 24.

Freshman Greta Voelker looks to get back into the groove she found in the fall that earned her national attention. Freshman Emilee Hoffman, who finished the Allstate Intercollegiate at an unusual 5-over, hopes to get back to the under-par golf that makes her a valuable asset to the team.

The Longhorns will try to get their bearings this weekend before moving on to the Anuenue Spring Break Classic in Maui, Hawaii, on March 14 and 15. There, Texas will face the best teams the NCAA has to offer.