What to watch for at SXSW’s Gaming Expo

SXSW’s Gaming Expo has something for every kind of geek and gamer.

The Gaming Expo, which runs from March 16 to 18, will feature over a hundred exhibitors focused on all kinds of gaming, including video games, PC games, mobile gaming, board games and classic arcade games. 

Estevan Aviles, SXSW gaming associate, said the gaming expo is interactive with multiple open play areas where attendees can play games with one another. 

“There will also be a tabletop gaming area, where dozens of tables are dedicated for open play and organized play of the latest tabletop releases, as well as all-time classics like ‘Catan,’ ‘Ticket to Ride’ and ‘Dungeons & Dragons,’” Aviles said.

In addition, the Gaming Expo will feature multiple special events. Aviles said one example is the Esports Tournament Stage, which will host live competitions between highly-ranked players.

“This year’s Esports Tournament Stage will feature a massive tournament that looks to follow up on the momentum set in previous years,” Aviles said. 

Another component of the Gaming Expo is the Gaming Awards. Aviles said the Gaming Awards will be hosted by WWE wrestler Xavier Woods and Twitch gamer OMGitsfirefoxx. He added that Imaginary Forces, the creators of the “Stranger Things” title animation sequence, will also be creating the award show’s special effects this year. 

Aviles said the Gaming Expo has been known for debuting cool, upcoming games.

“Just last year, it was SXSW that produced the first live footage of Pokemon Go,” he said. 

Aviles said one highlight of this year’s Gaming Expo will be the return of Nintendo to Austin. This year, Nintendo will feature their newest product, the Nintendo Switch, which is a new gaming console that combines the function of a television console and a tablet.

UT’s Paul Toprac, computer science professor and sponsor of UT’s Gaming and Mobile Media Applications, said the Gaming Expo will be a fun experience but can also provide networking opportunities. 

“Students should go to this expo for two reasons: fun and getting a possible job,” Toprac said. “To that end, (students) should go to as many events that they would find fun and obtain worthwhile contacts.” 

He added that gaming is the new medium through which technology fuses with entertainment.  

“Now, coupled with virtual reality and augmented reality technologies that enhance sound for the gaming experience, games are truly becoming the storytelling medium of the 21st century,” Toprac said. 

Regardless of whether you are a laid-back or hardcore gamer, Aviles said SXSW Gaming Expo has something for you. 

“Gaming enhances and builds one’s creativity, imagination and ability to produce genuinely advanced pieces of work, whatever they may be,” Aviles said.

The SXSW Gaming Expo will take place at the Austin Convention Center in Exhibits 1 and 2. Tickets are $25 for one day and $49 for all three days.