Texas looks for a spark as they head West

The No. 16 Texas men’s golf team will travel to California next week as it competes in the Lamkin San Diego Classic on March 13. The tournament is hosted at San Diego Country Club.

This will mark the third time the team has been in action during the spring season. Texas finished seventh at the Amer Ari Invitational at 13-under par, and fifth at the Querencia Cabo Collegiate at 6-under.

After losing in the National Championship last May, the Longhorns haven’t been able to find much consistency on the golf course. The team had a moderately successful fall season — winning the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate and taking second at the East Lake Cup — but the spring campaign has not lived up to expectations.

Texas hoped to improve its performance in Cabo two weeks ago after taking the lead in round one of the tournament, finishing at 273. But the Longhorns dropped down to fifth place after stumbling in the final two rounds.

“Today’s round stings,” head coach John Fields said after the final round. “But (it) will add to our motivation for success.”

However, the Longhorns can still build off the positive parts of their performance in Cabo. Sophomore Steven Chervony posted his best finish of the season to tie with junior Doug Ghim for 13th place at 4-under par.

The Longhorns head west with hopes to replicate the success they had last year in San Diego — a nine-shot victory. Beau Hossler, former Longhorn and Ben Hogan Award finalist, took the individual medalist title on his way to the fourth victory of his 2016 campaign.